Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was there a reduction in Federal withholding rates for March?

Default Was there a reduction in Federal withholding rates for March?

I pay my wife once a month. The net pay for March 2021 is higher than for either January or February 2021, with a reduction in federal withholding.

I've crawled my settings to see if I inadvertently changed anything to no avail. Did anyone else notice a reduction in Federal withholding for March?

Yes, if you have the recent Tax Update from yesterday see this update description:

https://zpay.com/vbulletin/showthrea...-March-13-2021

Your wife will get a bonus at the end of the year when you file your taxes.
    Paul Mayer
    ZPAY Payroll Systems, Inc.

Thank you, Paul.

I want to tell you how much we appreciate both the program and your support. Both are excellent!

You are so very welcome!
    Paul Mayer

Default Federal Withholding

Quote Originally Posted by echelon3 View Post
    I pay my wife once a month. The net pay for March 2021 is higher than for either January or February 2021, with a reduction in federal withholding.

I've crawled my settings to see if I inadvertently changed anything to no avail. Did anyone else notice a reduction in Federal withholding for March?
    I noticed the same thing. All of my employees had significant amount of federal tax that was not withheld like the first two months of 2021

So the employees will see a net increase in the their checks as the result of the tax table change on March 13. How will they receive a bonus at the end of the year when they are having less federal tax withheld? Won't that cause them to have to pay when they file their taxes next year instead of getting a refund?

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Lenhart View Post
    So the employees will see a net increase in the their checks as the result of the tax table change on March 13. How will they receive a bonus at the end of the year when they are having less federal tax withheld? Won't that cause them to have to pay when they file their taxes next year instead of getting a refund?
    The bonus is the preview tables were deducting too much FIT that they will get back when they file their taxes at the end of the year Wendell.
    Paul Mayer

This is where I hate not knowing everything

How can I confirm I am withholding enough? As an example, on a $500/wk paycheck, i withheld roughly $45 in Federal for the past years and first two months of this year. Now its roughly cut in half. I hadn't heard of any tax cut that reduces withholdings (my ignorance). I would hate to get to the end of the year and find that I didn't withhold enough and then I have to cover any shortfalls for all my employees.

Please see the tax update notice at this link:

https://zpay.com/vbulletin/showthrea...-March-13-2021

Then since you don't trust the numbers::

Download Publication 15-T from the IRS Website and you can confirm the amounts.
    Paul Mayer

Hi Paul, I'm new to this. Could you please post the 15-T with the basis for the 3/13/21 withholding update? I cannot find it on the IRS website. All I see is a 15-T that supports the pre 3/13 withholding rates. Thank you for your help.

BenH