Thread: Backup Not Remembering Folder To Save To.

Default Backup Not Remembering Folder To Save To.

Using version 7.0.20.

We save backups after any change to a payroll data base, on a floppy in the A drive, a folder on the hard drive, plus uploading them to our storage space at our ISP, just in case something nasty happens at our office.

The backup function used to "remember" the folder on the hard drive where we store PayWindow backup files. It doesn't seem to remember that any more.

Our routine is to backup to the floppy in the A drive and then select the hard drive for the second backuop. But, after selecting the hard drive the location bar still indicates the A drive and we have to navigate to the hard drive folder.

How come?

I cannot understand what you mean when you said "The backup function used to "remember" the folder on the hard drive where we store PayWindow backup files. It doesn't seem to remember that any more." as it only remembers that part on Restore since you are backing up the currently opened company file.

And it remembers the location of the last backup location while backing up and I do not see any difference in the backup since "forever"?

Are you confusing what you saw in Restore with how Backup works?
    Paul Mayer
    ZPAY Payroll Systems, Inc.

I'll try again. Paul.

All this takes place on the PayWindow page titled [Backup], it does not involve restore:

When we're done running a payroll we open that [Backup} page and first click on "Hard Disk or Removable Media". The entry right under those words displays "A:\". (Have you ever seen a hard drive designated "A", Paul? <G>)

So, we click the "browse button" and browse to a folder on the hard drive named "C:\AAA_Paywindow_Backups", where we store our backup files, and then click on "Backup [F11]". When the backup file is saved we exit from the [Backup] page and then reopen it to save a second backup to a floppy.

This time we click on "A: Drive" and click on "Backup [F11]". When that backup is saved on the floppy in the A drive we exit and close PayWindow.

So far so good.

But, the NEXT time we are running PayWindow want to make backups, and check off "Hard Disk or Removable Media". The entry right under those words displays "A:\" again.

That's what's different now Paul. the last used hard disk backup location, "C:\AAA_Paywindow_Backups" used to be "remembered" and already showing there, so we didn't have to bother browsing to it again.

No biggie, but it did throw my able assistant off the first time she encountered it after several years of not having to browse to the hard disk folder. (I never bothered teaching her to do that because the propler location always remained in place.)

OK, now I remember what's going on. I told the developers to remove the A: and the B: drive since there has not been a B: drive since the old 5.25 size floppy disks and now you cannot buy a computer with a A: drive without special ordering it.

They put all of the code into the Hard Drive or Removable drive for storing the last used folder information.

I just reminded them and am posting a message to our task tracking system so they remove that from all of our applications moving forward.

Now that we are supporting antique computers, we don't need those selections.
    Paul Mayer
    ZPAY Payroll Systems, Inc.

Hi Jeffry,
    Your new backup and restore screens are ready.
    thanks,
    PayWindow Development Team

Smile

Thank you very much, those screens are much easier to use.

Carpe diem!