Thread: W3 form will not print the correct state in Box 15 and state ID

Default W3 form will not print the correct state in Box 15 and state ID

We have employees in more than one state. The company is in Calif. The W3 keeps coming up with AL as the state and with no state ID number. Through trial and error, I discovered that it will print CA as the state if I run it by selecting employee beginning and ending numbers instead of selecting "all employees", and if I eliminate the last employee from the list, who is in AL. The next to last employee is in CA, so using that person as the last one will make the W3 print CA in the state box, but it still doesn't print the CA state ID number. It looks as if the program is picking up the state for the last person in the employee list, and printing that state in box 15.

Do you know how I can fix this? I want it to print CA, along with the CA state ID number.

When you have multiple state employees you need to enter the State Tax ID in the State Tax records that are attached to the employees. And as you found out, you do need to select the employees by range which is why it is a good idea when setting up a multi-state system to use unique Employee ID's such as CA-0001, CA-0001, WA-0001, etc.

Unfortunately it is a caveat of multi-state companies. And every time you update PayWindow, you need to remember to re-enter the state ID's in the state tax records used.
    Paul Mayer
    ZPAY Payroll Systems, Inc.

I have attached all the state designators to the employee records. The state tax tables have all the state tax IDs in them. I have unique employee ID numbers. I checked all this before I sent the first email. I went back and checked it again after reading your answer. All the state data is entered. The last employee ID, #47, is in Alabama. The W3 is printing AL. If I pretend the last employee is #46, ie a CA person, then it will print CA in Box 15. In neither case does it print the tax ID number. Last year the last employee was CA and it printed CA, but it did not print the tax ID number and I had to write it in. I suspect the same problem existed then but since the last employee was CA it didn't show up. The W3 should be printing CA in Box 15 and putting in our CA tax ID number next to it. I don't know how to fix this.

This really strange as I thought it pulled it from the State Tax tables as the W2's do. But I just did some testing by marking an employee in my sample company in a different state and then checked the Multi-State box in the company settings.

Each time I ran it, it always used the State abbreviation and State Tax ID from the Company settings.

Do you have an ID entered in your Company Settings?
    Paul Mayer

I just did some more testing.

The one employee (was the last in my list) I had set to Oregon and selected just him to print and it printed his state "OR" from the employee record and then the ID I entered into the Oregon tax record.

Then I selected the other employees who are in Illinois and it pulled "IL" from the last employee and printed the state ID I put in the Illinois tax record.

So it is doing what it was supposed to do.
    Paul Mayer

I believe I can tell you clearly now what the problem is with this.

I did not have the state tax id number in the company information, although it used to be there. Possibly this is something that has to be entered every time when you do a new download (like the UI, FUTA, etc). When I added this info it print the CA tax id correctly next to box 15. So this part of the issue is resolved.

It still does not fix the problem with AL being printed in box 15 instead of CA. We also have employees in CO and TX. I did some testing. When I end the range of employees selected with a CO person, then it prints CO in box 15. When I end the range with TX, it prints nothing in box 15 (since TX has no state tax). Same thing if I end the range with a CA person, ie it prints CA. It seems that the program is picking up the state designator from the tax record of the last employee in the range selected, when it should be picking it up from our company information, which has CA in it. I thought I could fake it out by changing the state designator in the AL employee's record to CA (just for the purposes of printing the W3) , but it didn't work, it still prints AL, so your program is evidently picking up this info from the individual's tax data somewhere else.

Any other ideas?

I discovered this issue has more to it. I have always submitted this form with CA as the employer's state (which is accurate), but I went and looked at the instructions for the W3 box 15, and discovered that the entry should be an X if you are submitting W2s for more than one state, and the state id number should be blank. I don't know if this is a change in recent years or not as I haven't looked at the instructions for a long time. Possibly it's always been this way. Looking at the form certainly implies they want the employer's state and state tax ID. Also, we haven't had any rejected so I don't know how important it is.

I don't know if your fix will allow for an X to be inserted in box 15. I can delete the state tax id number in the company info and it should print without the state id. From your answer it seems that it will still pick up the state of the last employee on the list, if multi-state is checked, which would mean it would still print AL, which is not our state. The AL employee lives and works in AL.

After looking at the instructions for Box 15, it would seem that if you check multi-state, then it should always simply print an X in box 15.

Thank you for being so responsive.

We will get it changed to print the X and omit the employee ID.
    Paul Mayer